Okay, I've heard, indirectly, from the customer.  The laptop does have
JavaScript enabled.  However, it does not have networking fully configured
and is never used on the Internet.  They say "This laptop has no IP
address."  (They are very security-conscious; perhaps this is to to make
unauthorized access more difficult.)  I believe they are using FireFox 3.0.
Dojo is generating the should-be-AJAX requests.  Perhaps this is ultimately
a Dojo problem, that the laptop's configuration is causing Dojo to omit the
XHR header.  If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them, but
otherwise, thanks for your time.