Il 23/12/2009 13:45, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo ha scritto:
> I think you're looking for the cause in the wrong places. I guess these
> integratiosn weren't written just because, unfortunately, Tapestry is
> not very well-known, so few people use it and write extensions and
> integrations.

Hence, the relatively scarce fame of Tapestry can be considered a
problem in itself. If few people know Tapestry and few people write few
code and support it, then the whole framework became less palatable.
Maybe, we should do something about it...

For what regards me, I still hope to be able to write some
docu/article/marketing stuff in the near future (with the help of the
members of this list, of course). Let's hope this helps.

>> I wonder: is it possible to improve the existing integration mechanism
>> of Tapestry (that is: the existing IoC container)? How?
>
> It would be better to discuss actual integration problems and them
> attack them. If anyone has already had them, please post they here.
>
>> Or should we replace it with a different/new one? Which one?
>
> I don't see any reason at all to replace it. If it has shortcomings,
> let's fix them! :)

Well, I'm not sure that the T5 IoC container is completely innocent. It
is true that T5 IoC is much lighter and much more manageable than the
Spring's one. It is also true that its mechanism of configuration is
very elegant.

Nevertheless, I wonder if its original architecture represents a barrier
for the programmers used to Spring IoC or other containers.

Maybe it is just a matter of pre-existing skills and programming habits.
Maybe a "compatibility layer" could help (for example: accepting both
the T5 and the Spring configuration sintax).

Or, maybe, it is a subtle matter of compatibility between the T5 IoC
container and the modules we try to integrate (given that most of them
were designed to work with other types of IoC containers).

I wonder, for example, if there is some Spring IoC (or other IoC
container) feature that is missing in the T5 IoC and that can make any
difference. Could it be a (maybe obscure) missing feature the reason why
a few programmers find so hard to develop a module integration library?

Anyway, these are JM2C.

--

Alessandro Bottoni
Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you
take into account Hofstadter's Law.
        — Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid