Jim,

You still have some different options to pursue in a cluster..

- "sticky" sessions, so that requests of the same user will go to the
same server in the cluster. Good for load balancing, but if a server
fails, the users of that server will loose their session.

- session replication in the cluster - this seems to be the approach
you are thinking of. Here I would indeed imagine that the amount of
data you store in the session heavily influences performance.

- persist the session. Could be in clustered rdbms, could be one of
these distributed key-value stores that are all the rage these days,
like Cassandra or HBase.

Maybe you could let us know what you ended up doing, once you've
finished your project.

Good luck,

Lutz

--