I agree that one should try to defer session creation as long as possible.
But as soon as there is some state to persist, you shouldn't hesitate to use
sessions.

Session replication isn't necessarily a heavy thing.

Have a look at Terracotta, which shines at making web session replication
scale well.
Combine this with sticky sessions, and you get the best of two worlds.
Terracotta does only send replicated data to the nodes that actually demands
it.

See http://www.terracotta.org

Olle Hallin
Senior Java Developer and Architect