Hi,

there are several reasons:

1. It's widely in use and actively developed. Even endorsed by Microsoft.
 ("Microsoft now fully supports jQuery and distributes it with the ASP.NET
Model-View Controller (MVC) framework. Furthermore, extensions have been
deve..." source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd453033.aspx)
2. It is released much more frequently than Prototype - the fear that we're
using dying js stack is enough to convert..
3. Easier to find help (Bigger community, more books etc.)
4. More advanced

The last part of course is debatable. Strong commitment from big players
make it safe bet.

 - Ville