Hi there. Just my two cents as a front end dev working on Tapestry projects.

I'd rather you made it easier to plug in ANY js library of one's choice,
including purpose built ones.

It should really be a day's work or so for a front end dev to decide they are
going to use library X, find out it's not supported yet, and create a Tapestry
bridge. Anything more involved will put people off.

As for out-of-the-box support, even though prototype.js is one of the worse
libraries out there in terms of playing nice with other libraries on the same
page, if you stop supporting it you'll have a lot of angry devs on your hands,
so you can't do that.

If you want to offer another option to make Tapestry more palatable, jQuery is
the obvious option purely for its popularity. The truth of the matter is that
all js libraries are much of muchness (although some like ext.js are monster
compared to others). They all get the job done. I don't think you should really
concern yourself with that, as I said earlier, just make it easy to drop in any
library, and we'll do the rest. For example MooTools is my favourite, I'll be
happy to build a bridge for that, but I don't have the time nor will to tear my
hair out doing it.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks

Fritz