If you register on the user mailing list with your google mail account and
create a filter on the mailbox, then you have the ultimate power of sorting
threads and searching the knowledge. It can not get better.

When I see a forum which has a search link which takes you to another page
where you are presented with unfamiliar and often user unfriendly web form
and later with a result page which also often does not meet minimum quality
requirements, then I see a forum like software as an outdated form of
communication and collaboration.

Stackoverflow is an ideal service for questions and answers, whereas mailing
list often serves also as a discussion and propositions media.

-Borut