Perfect this worked. I have set it like this  <property name="java.io.tmpdir"
value="images/" /> inside appengine-web.xml file and after I uploaded the
application it didn't crash.

Now if I understand you correctly I can use tapestry-upload component like I
would normally do, right?
One thing that I don't understand is how to I save the file into Blob? In
normal application I would create a t:form with t:upload inside it. Then in
the java file I would create a property for that field from the class
UploadedFile and then I would use that class to write the file to disk. But
how do I do that or how do I save it into Blob?

Any ideas? And txn for quick responses.