On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 15:32:06 -0300, Luca Arzeni <l.arz...@iname.com> wrote:

I have built a JPA datasource provider that is similar to the hibernate one, and it manages filtering, sorting and paging so the size of a grid is not an issue; I was declaring that the dataset is verylarge only to explain the reason why I cannot use an autocomplete/drop down field.

You don't need to show all the options . . .

Regarding the "user interface question", well, ehrrr... ehm... I was using tapestry exactly to build the user interface,

I wasn't talking about the coding part, but how to present a good user interface so the user can do their tasks on it easily and intuitively.

so I was appreciating the grid that allows me to show many columns to the user. I was simply hoping to find a "standard" way to solve this issue, if I'm the first one to have this need may be I choose the wrong tool for this task :-)

Grid is awesome for showing tabular data, if that's your question. You've mentioned 100 thousands rows, so I thought that was your concern, but not it seems to me it isn't.

To be honest, I still think your question is vague and not very well phrased, so it's hard to give a good answer. You may try to use zones so you don't need to write any JavaScript to make your selection be applied to the first form.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br