How do people set up their tomcat so that the web designers can work on the static content and the programmers can work on the jsp stuff without stepping on each other's toes?

In my case the web designers have already been working with apache with their files in /usr/local/apache/htdocs.

My first thought is to put tomcat behind apache with mod_jk but after some minimal testing I discovered that apache server side includes don't work; for example, if the html from my jsp has <!--#include virtual="/header.html"--> that line isn't replaced and is sent to the browser.