On 1/17/06, Leon Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Joost Kraaijeveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Sure, but when ps shows virtual memory usage of 34 GB, I assume it's a
> > > memory issue, isn't it?
> > > P.S. (There is no tomcat involed :-) )
> > After a recent update of my Etch (2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp )based
> > workstation I suddenly experience memory problems also: overnight, while
> > the system does nothing (other than accepting my email) my swap grows
> > from 0 MB to > 3 GB and the performance of the system is gone (Dual
> > Opteron with 4 GB RAM). Only a MS derived solution (reboot) helps.
> > Redeploying my JBoss application also results in a rise of usage of
> > swap. JBoss refuses to use more than 1 GB, the same for my Eclipse.
> >
> > No solution, just a me-too post
> >
> > (BTW: do you use Sarge or Etch and which kernel?)
>
> uname -a
> Linux amd02 2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 00:07:51 CEST 2005
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> more /etc/apt/sources.list
> #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ stable main
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ stable main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> more /etc/debian_version
> 3.1
>
> It's sarge...

The use of ps and top as a way of determining memory use can be
misleading for processes with many threads. Although not totally
accurate, for a process with more than 5 threads the ps or top value
should be divided by the number of threads to get the actual amount of
memory used.

Also, consider that the ps/top value is all memory used by the process
not just the heap.