Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. I hadn't tried that yet and I wasn't sure what exactly was serving the static content so your suggestion will help me get further on my own. Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same problem after the suggested change. Perhaps I need to undo some of my previous changes?

In doing some additional testing, I can confirm that the problem does not present on MAC OSX or Windows2K3, so it seems to be localized to Tomcat(5.029|5.5.14|5.5.15)/SunJDK-1.5.05-b5/(SUSE10|SLES9).

In some additional testing, I've also got files that are saved in different encodings such as iso-8859-1 which aren't serving properly either. To reduce the number of variables in the equation, I've moved from lots of problematic files to two simple test html files, each with a meta tag declaring it's proper charset.

Finally, all files serve properly with Jetty6 on the same machine.

-erik

Mark Thomas wrote:
Erik Onnen wrote:
Verified and re-verified, that's why I went the path of configuring
multibyte support to begin with.
Have you changed fileEncoding for the default servlet in conf/web.xml?
If not, try setting it to UTF-8. It controls the encoding used to read
static files and defaults to the platform default.

Mark