To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: From Java to C#, ASP.NET [Off Topic]

Hey Tony,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with .NET. I
appreciate your candor and taking the time. One thing
I didn't see you mention in the core support for XML.
Do you know how much of an advantage this is compared
to the the way in which Java works with XML.

BTW, I visited the dotnet teams result page on their
port of the Java Petshop reference application to .NET
and my jaw dropped. Unless they're stretching the
truth and exagerating wildly, I can't see how Java can
compete. Have you seen this?

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/compare/veritest.aspx

How close to reality do you think their results are.

-Michael D.

--- David Delbecq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Tony,

am what you could call a junior programmer (less
than 3 years expérience un j2ee)
I'll just respond to a few java related point, as i
don't know .NET
- You say primitives are not nullable. If you need a
nullable integer, use java.lang.Integer.
- Operators overloading is something i consider
dangerous, and i thanks sun for not implementing
those
- We are developping here a webapp which need to be
deployed at several 'clients', whose server
range from linux to windows to HP-UX, so
cross-platform is an important constraint :) This
explains the use of java.
- The 'only one language' of JAVA compared to .NET
make it easier for company to manage the
knowledge of developpers, which can compensate the
knowledge spreading across the various libraries

Those too are only my opinions, and as you express
yours, i express mine :)

BTW, i don't think there is a conflict .NET <-> J2EE
Simply use the right tool for the right purpose.

Le Mercredi 25 Janvier 2006 04:27, Tony LaPaso a
écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I should mention that this post is a bit off
topic. If you hate
> Microsoft then stop reading now and I'm sorry for
wasting your time. I
> don't own stock in Microsoft, I don't know Bill
Gates and nobody paid
> me or asked me to say the things I wrote below.
These are just my
> opinions based on my experiences with many years
in Java and two months
> of learning .NET/C# 2.0.
>
> I've been programming in Java/J2EE for the past 8+
years, most of this
> time as a contractor for several companies on many
J2EE projects. I
> even have a small (and now hopelessly out of date)
Java web site that
www.absolutejava.com, which
> will be removed in early May.
>
> Until about 8 weeks ago, I never even considered
looking at anything
> Microsoft offered. Recently though, on a whim, I
browsed over to the
> Microsoft site because I'd heard about their new
release of Visual
> Studio. I'd been a Windows programmer back in the
mid '90s and was
> curious to see how Visual Studio (it was Visual
C++ back then) had
> evolved (or not).
>
> I didn't download Visual Studio but instead I
downloaded a couple free
> tutorial videos for Microsoft's "Web Developer
Express" product (which
> is a free product, BTW). "Web Developer Express"
has a subset of the
> features in the full "Visual Studio" product and
is used for building
> server-side (or client side, for that matter) web
apps. I couldn't
> believe what I saw. "Web Developer Express" blows
away anything we have
> in the Java world for developing server-side web
apps. It was kind of a
> jaw-dropping experience to see what the tool can
do and what ASP.NET
> offers compared to servlets/JSP/Struts/JSTL/JSF.
>
> I don't want to turn this post into a "feature by
feature" comparison
> of ASP.NET and equivalent Java technologies. My
impression, though,
> from watching these tutorial videos is that we in
the J2EE world are
> living like knuckle-dragging Barbarians,
scratching out an existence
> clothed in bear skins, using stone knives and
sticks as our tools of
> choice. Those using .NET are living in fine brick
homes with hardwood
> floors, fireplaces and regular visits from PeaPod.
>
> After looking at ASP.NET I became interested in
looking at the C#
> language, proper. My impressions of C# vs. Java
mirrored those of
> ASP.NET vs. servlets/JSP/etc. Java has kludgey
support for properties
> and events (they're just regular methods with
parameters) while C# has
> the constructs (delegates & events) built directly
into the core
> language. C# also supports co-routines, something
we have to simulate
> in Java as well as "out parameters" (which allow a
method to change the
> caller's parameter's value) and operator
overloading. C# also has
> "nullable" types. Imagine Java's primitive types
being able to hold
> null values. This is highly useful when working
with databases.

> Finally, .NET provides an integrated and more
comprehensive approach to
> setting security permissions and versioning of
what are called,
> "assemblies". Assemblies are very roughly
equivalent to JARs. This
> allows you to compile your code against a specific
version of an
> assembly and have that version information
maintained in the resulting
> executable. It also allows several versions of the
same assemblies
> (again, think "JARs") to co-exist peacefully in a
global, system-wide
> cache of assemblies. Sun should have given us
something like this five
> years ago.
>
> Another advantage I saw with .NET is that it is
more "cross language"
> friendly than Java. First of all, .NET, like Java,
executes a "platform
> neutral" representation of a program (analogous to
Java bytecode).
> Unlike Java, .NET programs can be written in many
languages (C#, C++,
> Perl, Python, J#, VB, and many others).
Microsoft's J# is, from what
> I've seen, a clone of Java (although I'm sure
there are differences).
> The point I want to make is that once compiled,
.NET programs can call
> each other seamlessly, regardless of the language
the programs were
> originally written in. So for example, a J# class
can extend a C# class
> which can extend a VB class. You're not tied to
one language like you
> are in Java.
>
> I know that, theoretically, any language could
potentially be compiled
> into Java bytecode (I guess Groovy is an example).
Practically,
> however, this is not commonly done.
>
> Suffice it say, I am switching after 8+ years in
Java. It was a tough
> decision at first because I have so much time and
effort invested in
> Java. When I eventually get on a .NET project I
will be starting over
> as a junior person making a junior person's
salary. That won't be
> pleasant. I have close to $1,000 in Java books
that I've accumulated
> over the years that are now for sale on Amazon.
Ultimately though, I
> felt I'd be able to spend more time actually
writing code on a single
> consistent, and what seems to be superior platform
(.NET) rather than
> gluing together a half dozen open source tools
with XML files, which it
> seems J2EE requires far too much of.
>
> To me, J2EE has become too fat and burdensome in
the past few years,
> especially with the proliferation of so many
competing open source
> projects. I think too much choice can be as bad as
not enough choice.

> BTW, I realize .NET is not perceived as being as
"cross platform" as
> Java (although that's changing as the Mono Project

> [http://www.mono-project.com] gains traction).
Initially, this lack of
> "cross platformability" gave me cause for
hesitation. But then I
> started thinking of all the J2EE projects I'd been
on in the past 8

=== message truncated ===