Em 01/02/2013 21:57, Howard W. Smith, Jr. escreveu:
Okay, well,  I'm using JPA to access JTA managed datasource (Apache
Derby), and I really don't think I have any JDBC resource management
issues.

Have you look into your JPA graph and check if you are not loading
millions of objects in memory?
While JPA is loading data from database, you will experience
"unresponsiveness" as you said.
I do use PostgresSQL (that has superb performance, IMHO), and to discover
the bloated references, I just had to set log to record all queries sent by
the application.

Well, Zoran reported unresponsiveness in the OP. :)

Sorry, I mixed up things in my head... I'll pay more attention.

I am quite pleased with the responsiveness of my app... using
EclipseLink and Derby.
Good.

What is the best way to look into the JPA? via JMX?

In development, I do use NetBeans with Profiler (memory or cpu profile are good start point). In test environment I do use JRockit Mission Control remote monitoring. I do not use any of these in production. Probably would be possible to monitor using JMX (via JMX Proxy Servlet in Tomcat?)

There is one interesting blog entry here: http://blog.vennster.nl/2012/09/managing-eclipselink-using-jmx.html
But I never tried that, just had in my favorits "just in case".

Regards,

Edson