> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> Yes, I now get it. Thanks for the lesson on Windows Networking (I thought
> I knew well) and thanks to Andre as well.
> You also said that if all I wanted to do was make a list of mapping appear
> in an html page (without actually using them
> in your application), you can just fake it as previously discussed. I
> think I missed that part.
>
> Thanks
> Pat

Glad you understand now. I was about to provide a response similar to
Andre's previous response. This all reminds me of a similar situation
within my TomEE/Tomcat7 web app.

On my development server (Windows 2008 server 64-bit), I am 'always' logged
in and coding/etc, which means I always test the web app via NetBeans
(which provide the infamous 'console' that is mentioned throughout this
thread). I developed this piece of code that uses JODConverter to call
OpenOffice.org at/via port 2002, and this allows my web app to convert
files to PDF after enduser uploads certain documents (Word docs, excel,
etc...). So, that all works on my development server. Why? because I am
logged in everytime while testing and the app is 'never' running as a
Windows 'service' on my development server.

So, i deploy my web app to target/production server (Windows 2003 Server
and/or Windows Server 2008). For many months now, I have wondered 'why' the
code will not work on the 'production' server but it runs/works 'everytime'
on my development server. Finally, recently (after many months of research
and/or multiple attempts of trying to debug/resolve the problem), I either
read somewhere or finally realized that the code will 'not' work because my
web app is running as a service, and for whatever reason (of course a
'Windows' reason), the code will 'not' work while running as a service.

So, I am left to coding another implementation to convert files after
upload, use another library, and ditch the JODConverter/OpenOffice.org
approach.