On 19/05/2013 17:39, jieryn wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am using Apache Tomcat 7.0.40, via IBM Java 7 SR2. I am seeing the
> following on Tomcat shutdown:
>
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks
> The web application [] created a ThreadLocal with key of type
> [com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.Coordinator$1] (value
> [com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.Coordinator$1@f9b00906]) and a value of
> type [java.lang.Object[]] (value [[Ljava.lang.Object;@3d8d9b93]) but
> failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are
> going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.
>
> When I inspect the libraries within the application I find:
>
> $ grep com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.Coordinator *
> Binary file jaxb-impl-2.2.1.1.jar matches
>
> Apache Maven dependency:tree shows that this is coming from Apache
> Wink (wink-common -> wink-client).
>
> Is this JAXB ThreadLocal something that Apache Tomcat ought to protect me
> from?

No.

Tomcat is not responsible for any ThreadLocals your application creates.
If your application creates them (or causes them to be created), your
application needs to clean them up.

Depending on exactly what triggers the creation of this ThreadLocal and
how it is used, there may be something we can add to Tomcat's
JreMemoryLeakProtectionListener to avoid this memory leak.

Mark