Konstantin,

On 11/4/13, 6:49 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2013/11/5 James H. H. Lampert <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>:
>> Running Tomcat 7.0.25 on an AS/400
>>
>> Would anybody happen to know why a running Tomcat server would
>> evidently re-extract a WAR file without being told to do so (and
>> getting rid of some things manually added to the context
>> directory in the process!), apparently in response to Daylight
>> Saving Time ending?
>>

> If you run with <Host autoDeploy="true"/> then ~every 10 seconds
> Tomcat checks whether the war file is newer than the directory
> that was created when extracting the war file.  If it is then a
> redeployment happens.  You should be able to see deployment /
> undeployment messages in the logs.
>
> Maybe the check was performed during the DST change and the times
> for one web application were inconsistent. Do you need
> autoDeploy="true" if you manually modify the deployed
> applications?

I would only expect a redeploy for DST under the most bizarre of
situations. DST is a local phenomenon and I believe Tomcat uses
UNIX-time (that is, milliseconds since the epoch) to track these
times. That UNIX-time number always increases and never decreases,
even when DST changes occur.

It's more likely that your clock hiccuped during a time when you
intentionally updated the WAR file and that triggered a re-deploy.

I'm not saying that DST definitely did not cause anything like this,
but I would be surprised if it did.

Note that using the deployment-directory for ... really anything is a
bad idea for the reason stated above (Tomcat deleted your stuff) and
several others. Try to avoid doing that.