On Dec 3, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Tomcat Random <tomcat.ran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I considered using a validation query but it seemed like extra overhead
> when the default behavior was not, um, behaving in the default way.

The overhead is typically minimal.  Running "SELECT 1" or some other very
simply query is not likely to bring your database to it's knees.  It might add
a small amount of latency as the pool will need to execute the query before it
give the connection to your application, but that's likely to be dwarfed by
whatever your application does with the connection after it gets it.

If you are concerned you can do a couple things to make the process even more
lightweight.

1.) With MySQL and use "/* ping */ SELECT 1" as the validation query.  This is
a special case with the MySQL JDBC driver that uses even less resources.

2.) You can use the tomcat-jdbc connection pool which has a validationInterval
setting.  This will ensure that the validation query is only executed one time
during the specified time interval.

...or you can go without a validation query, but it's not something I would
recommend and not something I see done very often.  The minimal overhead is
usually worth knowing that you get a valid connection from the pool.

Dan