Dan,

On 12/3/13, 12:32 PM, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Tomcat Random
> <tomcat.ran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I considered using a validation query but it seemed like extra
>> overhead when the default behavior was not, um, behaving in the
>> default way.
>
> The overhead is typically minimal.  Running "SELECT 1" or some
> other very simply query is not likely to bring your database to
> it's knees.  It might add a small amount of latency as the pool
> will need to execute the query before it give the connection to
> your application, but that's likely to be dwarfed by whatever your
> application does with the connection after it gets it.
>
> If you are concerned you can do a couple things to make the process
> even more lightweight.
>
> 1.) With MySQL and use "/* ping */ SELECT 1" as the validation
> query.  This is a special case with the MySQL JDBC driver that uses
> even less resources.

+1

We use this everywhere. I've never actually benchmarked it, but since
it does not execute a query on the server, it pretty much has to be
faster by any measure.

> 2.) You can use the tomcat-jdbc connection pool which has a
> validationInterval setting.  This will ensure that the validation
> query is only executed one time during the specified time interval.

I haven't moved to tomcat-pool yet, but this was my initial reaction
to Alec's question about usually not needing the validation query.

> ...or you can go without a validation query, but it's not something
> I would recommend and not something I see done very often.  The
> minimal overhead is usually worth knowing that you get a valid
> connection from the pool.

+1

If you don't use a validation query, you need additional try/catch
blocks around all your "getConnection()" calls, and a loop to re-try
just in case the first connection was bad.

I think without a validationQuery, your pool will effectively dry-up
over time.