David,

On 5/16/14, 11:12 AM, David kerber wrote:
> On 5/15/2014 9:57 AM, Leon Rosenberg wrote:
>> Hello David,
>>
>> I will not ask you why you are reinventing the wheel (ok, I lied,
>> why are you reinventing the wheel?). You have multiple options
>> available: 1) You could use jmx and publish your information as
>> jmx beans. 2) You could use rmi between you 'collector' and the
>> target apps. 3) You could use simple http (preferably json), but
>> in that case I would advice to setup a separate collector for
>> it.
>>
>> For any of the above options there are numbers of classes and
>> utilities you can use. For example jersey as jax-rs
>> implementation is perfect for exchange of json data, for rmi you
>> could use DistributeMe ( http://www.distributeme.org) or
>> spring-remote, and so on.
>>
>> But yet again, why reinventing the wheel?
>
> I'm not trying to.  Your responses above are the exact kinds of
> information I was looking for:  how to communicate between my app
> that displays the information, and the monitored apps.
>
> Now I just need to look into how to use jmx, rmi and json to figure
> out which will serve my needs the best.  My goal here is to be able
> to click on a browser bookmark and after logging in, have all the
> information from these dozen apps displayed in an organized table,
> so I don't have to do anything more than scroll down the page to
> see them all.
>
> They are all OS-agnostic, I presume?

I've done a presentation about how to do this with JMX. Since you are
using a persistent server that is already running Java, you could
maintain a persistent JMX connection with each of the servers to
monitor, and so some of the tools mentioned within are probably less
relevant, but here it is:
http://people.apache.org/~schultz/ApacheCon%20NA%202014/Monitoring%20Apache%20Tomcat%20with%20JMX.pdf

That will show you what information you can get from Tomcat (e.g.
request counts) as well as how to publish whatever information you
want to make available from your own web application.

If you write something cool, consider sticking it up on the wiki or
something.