Thanks Leon

>> 1) You could use jmx and publish your information as jmx beans.

That was the first thought I had. I would prefer using JMX beans, so that i can
leverage any JMX tool like JConsole or JVisualVM

___________________
Thks & brgds
P Manchanda

 Subject: Re: Application monitoring
 To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
 Date: Thursday, 15 May, 2014, 19:27

 Hello David,

 I will not ask you why you are reinventing the wheel (ok, I
 lied, why are
 you reinventing the wheel?).
 You have multiple options available:
 1) You could use jmx and publish your information as jmx
 beans.
 2) You could use rmi between you 'collector' and the target
 apps.
 3) You could use simple http (preferably json), but in that
 case I would
 advice to setup a separate collector for it.

 For any of the above options there are numbers of classes
 and utilities you
 can use. For example jersey as jax-rs implementation is
 perfect for
 exchange of json data, for rmi you could use DistributeMe (
 http://www.distributeme.org) or spring-remote, and so
 on.

 But yet again, why reinventing the wheel?

 regards
 Leon

 On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM, David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
 wrote:

 > I am working on a small Tomcat servlet to monitor other
 tomcat-based
 > applications running on the same physical machine, and
 am trying to figure
 > out the best way to communicate between the monitoring
 app, and the
 > monitored apps.
 >
 > My setup has several tomcat instances of a single
 application, each
 > running from its own directory, and listening on its
 own TCP port.  So
 > there is no direct communication between the
 instances.

 > I'm trying to monitor various data about the
 application, not about tomcat
 > itself or the JVM. So I want to collect such things as
 the number of
 > requests it has processed, the last data received, etc,
 and not things like
 > memory and cpu usage.  It is my app, so I can (and
 expect to need to) add
 > methods or servlets to return the information I want to
 collect.

 > My question is, what is the best way to make the
 request to get the data?
 >  Would  URL request from the monitoring app
 to the monitored app be
 > appropriate, and then parse the response out for
 display in a browser?  If
 > so, what java class is likely to be useful for this
 communication?  I will
 > have all the information needed to connect to the
 application instance
 > (server, port, etc), but want it to be portable across
 OS types.