Cris,

On 12/11/14 11:28 AM, Cris Berneburg - US wrote:
> I'm having trouble with my JSP web app using Tomcat 6 and 7 on
> Windows Server 2012.
>
> The issue is that no matter what file I request in the browser
> URL, it always returns the app welcome file, that is, the login
> page. Even when requesting an image.  The one exception is that
> after logging in, the main menu page appears, but none of the
> graphics or CSS files load.  Clicking on the app links, it just
> brings up the welcome page again.  Checking the Tomcat log files, I
> see that Tomcat is returning the welcome page instead of the files
> requested in the main menu page.
>
> Using the Tomcat manager, I see that my application has a
> ridiculous number of sessions, instead of just one.  I interpret
> that for every single file requested, a new Tomcat session is being
> generated and possibly invalidated.
>
> FYI, using the same setup on Windows Server 2003 and 2008 works
> fine. Opening the same firewall ports on all three OS's has been
> done. Even disabling the firewall on 2012 does not affect the issue
> in any way.  And to make things even weirder, accessing the
> application from a browser on the server itself using localhost
> works fine!
>
> I wonder if there is some mystery setting somewhere that is
> crippling the app.  Got any suggestions?  Please help.  Thanks!

Check two quick things:

1. Do you have any security-constraints in WEB-INF/web.xml? If so, do
they all make sense, and can users actually access those resources
once logged-in (or at all)?

2. Do you have any servlets in WEB-INF/web.xml mapped to "/" other
than the DefaultServlet (which should be configured by default so you
shouldn't have to configure it yourself)?