Eric,

On 3/19/15 11:15 AM, Eric Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. We run various versions of RHEL (5.5 to
> 6.3) x64. Tomcat is mostly 6.0.18. Java is mostly 6u21 x 64.

Time to upgrade. Tomcat is hideously out of date (probably because you
are using RedHat's Tomcat package), at least by version number. I'm
not sure what RedHat does (if anything) about security fixes, etc. but
a vanilla 6.0.18 is probably vulnerable and has been for a very long time.

Java 1.6 is EOL and Java 1.7 is getting close.

I strongly advise you to move up to Tomcat 8.0.20 and Java 1.8 and
start developing and testing your application against those versions.

> Typical startup options looks like this...
>
> JAVA_OPTS="-Xms192M -Xmx384M \ -XX:MaxPermSize=128M \

Those seem reasonable, except maybe not PermGen. Are you increasing it
or reducing it from the default on your platform?

> The memory allocation seems low to you because we run many
> instances of tomcat on the same server. Although the servers have
> 32-64GB of RAM, the individual tomcat/java instances are kept
> fairly low.

We ran for years in a 64MiB heap. Then we got enough traffic that
sessions required us to expand our heaps. If you can run in a small
heap, great. But keep your eye on what's happening with your users;
you may find that you have outgrown your old heap settings.

> We are trying to be proactive by watching the memory usage numbers
> in the thread dumps.

Heap dumps?

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring