Chris,

"Live monitoring is the only way to go, unless you want your customers
to surprise you with performance problems on your own site. :)"

Monitoring, ok, but alerting is critical for large scale production
environments. You mention JMX callbacks for alerting, but it would be worth
that you mention SNMP since it's very easy to set up and efficient. We also
can raise alerts on deltas with this method, and see a problem before the
CPU says something bad is going to happen. Just my feedback ;)

regards