On 8/9/16, 9:25 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
There /is/ a POODLE variation which is against TLS 1.0 - 1.2 [1]. If
SSLv3 is completely disabled (TLS1.0 is okay), then you aren't
vulnerable to "classic" POODLE. If you aren't using CBC-based cipher
suites with TLS1.0 - TLS1.2, then you should be okay.

With a Java 1.6 (1.6.0_26) client, my server refuses connections due
to too-small DH pairs when left to its own devices[2]. When the client
is restricted to certain ciphers, these cipher suites are usable:

  Accepted    TLSv1 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
  Accepted    TLSv1 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
  Accepted    TLSv1 SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA

Of course, those CBC-based cipher suites are the ones vulnerable to
the TLS flavor of POODLE.

Ivan Ristic tends to know what he's doing, so I think you can trust
Qualys's server-testing tool.

My understanding is that it is only certain implementations of TLSv1.0 that are vulnerable to POODLE-TLS.

The weirdest part is that everything I've tried (including the manual test) tells ME that neither our Tomcat server, nor the customer's, were accepting SSLv3 connections even before we began this exercise, and that all our customers' Tomcat servers, at least the ones we're responsible for, are similarly rejecting SSLv3, and have been for some time. And yet, whoever is doing their security audit is saying that we NEED to disable SSLv3. I'd sure like to know what they're using, that's telling them it isn't already disabled.

--
JHHL