On 7/20/2017 11:16 AM, Roparzh Hemon wrote:
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

4. Java on Windows is a nightmare. If you want to quip about moving to
a "real server OS," then suggest switching to a UNIX-like OS, where
the Real Servers run :)
   I am quite curious and interested in what you say here, because my
feedback and experience go the opposite direction. My goal is to
self-teach myself Java in JEE for Web development. I am a long-time
Mac fan, but on my mac I got stuck by a configuration problem in JEE
and got ZERO feedback on half a dozen forums and mailing lists,
including this one. In contrast, in this windows question I got a lot
of feedback very quickly.

The thing here is that Java is configured and runs pretty much the same on all of the operating systems. There is nothing wrong with Windows with respect to developing, configuring, or running Java. That applies to all Java software, including Tomcat.

If you are switching from a Mac, though, then perhaps a UNIX-like OS would have been a better choice for you, since MacOS is based on BSD, and even Microsoft is moving towards the *nix world (e.g. added Bash from Ubuntu, made a Linux version SQL Server, etc.).

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with Windows if you don't mind their licensing, costs, and added overhead of GUI where it is not needed.