Roparzh,

> On 7/20/17 10:23 PM, Roparzh Hemon wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Reference please. A quick search of the archives suggests this is
>>> the first question you have asked on this list.
>>>

>> You are technically correct, my bad, the question I was referring
>> to was on the Apache mailing list, not this Tomcat mailing list :
>> look at
>> http://httpd.markmail.org/search/?q=#query:%20list%3Aorg.apache.httpd.
> users+page:13+mid:w72upzzpj4uh3bgk+state:results
>
> I'm
>
> not surprised you got no response: that's the list for the native
> web server. They probably just thought you were lost.
>
> Your problem is actually with Eclipse and had nothing to do with what
> platform you are on. I've been developing Java web applications since
> 2000, and I use Eclipse, and I've never used Eclipse's "Run as
> server". So I would count myself pretty knowledgeable and even I would
> be no help.
>
> Try re-posting your question on THIS list and see if you get better
> answers.
>
> -chris

Although I run (mostly) on Windows and develop (mostly) using NetBeans,
I think that I can help with this.

Post your question here, and I can walk you through how I do this on
Windows and Eclipse / Oxygen.

Basically, my philosophy for development machines is the same regardless
of platform or IDE.

1. Keep the Tomcat installation in a directory that you own / control
2. Do not run Tomcat as a service (Windows, Linux, MacOS)
3. Control the start / stop / debug server commands through the IDE

Approaching a development machine in this fashion gives you lots of
flexibility, and avoids potential permissions problems.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/