On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 09:25:53AM -0500, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Chris,
>
> On 2/28/18 8:40 AM, Cheltenham, Chris wrote:
> > Since AJP is not really needed by Tomcat; If I comment out the AJP
> > startup line in server.xml will that affect anything.
> >
> > I still don’t even understand what its for. I have read the apache
> > docs but it doesn’t mean anything to me.. Apache's description
> > doesn't tell me anything.
> >

> > The AJP Connector element represents a Connector component that
> > communicates with a web connector via the AJP protocol. This is
> > used for cases where you wish to invisibly integrate Tomcat into an
> > existing (or new) Apache installation, and you want Apache to
> > handle the static content contained in the web application, and/or
> > utilize Apache's SSL processing.
> >
> > That is mumbo jumbo.
>
> Is it?

Well, it could be improved.  For example, by using the
widely-understood word "proxy" somewhere, or defining "web connector".
Also by recalling that "Apache" is a huge array of various projects
(including Tomcat!), while "Apache HTTP Server" refers to a specific
web server daemon that can front-end Tomcat.  One could even link
"Apache HTTP Server" to 'http://httpd.apache.org/'.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst