Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I am the one who unknowingly opened this
can of worms. :)

It seems like there is a bit of momentum for altering the documentation, so I
thought I would offer something that incorporated some of these suggestions.  I
left out the part about "why" one would use a reverse proxy.  Maybe it should
be referenced here, but that is seems like something a higher level topic that
might be more appropriate somewhere else.  (If it doesn't fit anywhere else
either, I can add it back.)

---

The AJP Connector element represents a Connector component that communicates
with a HTTP server via the AJP protocol.  This is an unencrypted protocol and
is therefore recommended for use on a protected network or encrypted by some
other means, like SSH tunneling.  The most common configuration for this is
when an HTTP server acts as a reverse proxy in front of one or more Tomcat
servers.  Besides being a more efficient protocol that HTTP, there are several
configuration options in this connector designed to allow Tomcat to operate as
it would if it were not running behind a reverse proxy.

---

Mark Claassen
Senior Software Engineer

Donnell Systems, Inc.
130 South Main Street
Leighton Plaza Suite 375
South Bend, INĀ  46601
E-mail: mailto:mclaas...@ocie.net
Voice: (574)232-3784
Fax: (574)232-4014

Disclaimer:
The opinions provided herein do not necessarily state or reflect
those of Donnell Systems, Inc.(DSI). DSI makes no warranty for and
assumes no legal liability or responsibility for the posting.