From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: 27 June 2018 14:45
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache http via tomcat WAR or Directory URL syntax (tomcat
server.xml) for WAR application not working

On 27/06/18 13:53, Sandels Mark (RTH) OUH wrote:

> I am attempting to launch a WAR web application from a tomcat service (tomcat
> 9.0.2, windows server 2008 R2), after invoking a URL in a browser (Firefox)
> hosted by an Apache HTTP server (Apache 2.4). The documentation ...
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS6RHZ_6.0.6/com.ibm.rational.pe.install.doc/topics/t_rpeng_tomcat.html

I assume that, by including the reference to the above doc, you are
attempting to install the Document Builder applications.

That IBM doc says you must use Tomcat 7 or 8. You are trying to use
Tomcat 9. The applications should work on Tomcat 9 but applications have
been known to try and use Tomcat internals directly and those can be
version specific.

I'll also note that the IBM docs tell you to edit conf/context.xml. That
means all the applications deployed on that Tomcat instance will have
access to those databases. That may or may not be what you want and in
some circumstances would be considered a security concern.

> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/html-manager-howto.html#Deploy_a_Directory_or_WAR_by_URL)

That is the doc for Tomcat 7. You are using Tomcat 9.

> states that the tomcat server.xml configuration file should have an entry:
>
> <Context path="/" WAR or Directory URL: file:path to war file (which in this
> case is C:\Program Files (x86)\apache-tomcat-9.0.6\webapps\OracleStatus.war)

No, it does not. You are confusing manual deployment and configuration
with deployment via the Manager application.

As a general rule, you should never define <Context .../> elements in
server.xml.

Hmm. That WAR file appears to be unrelated to the IBM applications.

> The Catalina log file entry gives the following error message ....
> 25-Jun-2018 14:49:51.158 WARNING [main]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Catalina.start using
> conf/server.xml: Attribute name "WAR" associated with an element type
> "Context" must be followed by the ' = ' character.
>
> The tomcat service then fails to start.
>
> Please advise as to correct syntax to use in the server.xml configuration
> file.

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

Mark