Mark,

On 6/27/18 10:02 AM, Sandels Mark (RTH) OUH wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Please follow the second link I gave in my original post -
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/html-manager-howto.html#Deplo
y_a_Directory_or_WAR_by_URL

>  My original post explains what I am trying to do. Here is the
> extract from the link above which gives the Apache documented
> syntax that I am trying to use.

If you are trying to do that, please use the documentation for your
version of Tomcat. That would be:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/html-manager-howto.html#Deploy_
a_Directory_or_WAR_by_URL

The text happens to be the same in this case, but in many cases, it is
not.

If you want more help, you will need to:

1. Provide the name and location of your WAR file on the disk
2. Provide the name and location of the XML file you are editing
3. Provide the complete contents of the XML file you are editing (with
any secrets removed, of course)

- -chris

> <<Deploy a Directory or WAR by URL Install a web application
> directory or ".war" file located on the Tomcat server. If no
> Context Path is specified, the directory name or the war file name
> without the ".war" extension is used as the path. The WAR or
> Directory URL specifies a URL (including the file: scheme) for
> either a directory or a web application archive (WAR) file. The
> supported syntax for a URL referring to a WAR file is described on
> the Javadocs page for the java.net.JarURLConnection class. Use only
> URLs that refer to the entire WAR file. In this example the web
> application located in the directory C:\path\to\foo on the Tomcat
> server (running on Windows) is deployed as the web application
> context named /footoo. Context Path: /footoo WAR or Directory URL:
> file:C:/path/to/foo In this example the ".war" file
> /path/to/bar.war on the Tomcat server (running on Unix) is deployed
> as the web application context named /bar. Notice that there is no
> path parameter so the context path defaults to the name of the web
> application archive file without the ".war" extension. WAR or
> Directory URL: jar:file:/path/to/bar.war!/ Deploy a Directory or
> War from the Host appBase Install a web application directory or
> ".war" file located in your Host appBase directory. If no Context
> Path is specified the directory name or the war file name without
> the ".war" extension is used as the path. In this example the web
> application located in a subdirectory named foo in the Host appBase
> directory of the Tomcat server is deployed as the web application
> context named /foo. Notice that there is no path parameter so the
> context path defaults to the name of the web application
> directory. WAR or Directory URL: foo In this example the ".war"
> file bar.war located in your Host appBase directory on the Tomcat
> server is deployed as the web application context named /bartoo.
> Context Path: /bartoo WAR or Directory URL: bar.war>>
>
> Mark Sandels |Senior Systems Analyst/Programmer|IM & T Services -
> Integration Services Team |Manor House Annexe Room G22, Oxford
> University Hospitals NHS Trust , Headley Way, Headington, Oxford
> OX3 9RR |Phone:  01865 (5) 72103 | Email: mark.sand...@ouh.nhs.uk
> NHS colleagues can visit the OUH IM&T Services intranet site at
> http://ouhimt.oxnet.nhs.uk
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Sandels Mark (RTH) OUH
> [mailto:mark.sand...@ouh.nhs.uk] Sent: 27 June 2018 13:54 To:
> users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: Apache http via tomcat WAR or
> Directory URL syntax (tomcat server.xml) for WAR application not
> working
>

> I am attempting to launch a WAR web application from a tomcat
> service (tomcat 9.0.2, windows server 2008 R2), after invoking a
> URL in a browser (Firefox) hosted by an Apache HTTP server (Apache
> 2.4). The documentation ...
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS6RHZ_6.0.6/com.ibm.ratio
nal.pe.install.doc/topics/t_rpeng_tomcat.html