Hi and thanks for your reply.

> I've never had the problem you describe. I use Linux though. On my machine
> the
> shutdown port binds to IPv6 representation of 127.0.0.1:
>
> tcp6       0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8007   :::*                    LISTEN
>
> 7970/java

I made some more tests and I think my problem is due to a
Java/FreeBSD/IPv6 incompatibility of some sort which prevents Java to
fallback to the IPv6 representation ::ffff:127.0.0.1. When I run a
test-app (which I took from another thread regarding this topic, see
below) on a Linux machine it actually behaves as expected and binds to
the address ::ffff:127.0.0.1. However, when I run it on any of my
FreeBSD machines with an IPv6 capable JVM, it throws exactly the same
BindException as the Tomcat when trying to create an IPv6 address from a
given IPv4 representation.

import java.net.*;
public class TestServer {
         public static void main (String[] args) throws Exception {
                 if (args.length   != 2) {
                         System.out.println("Usage: java TestServer
<host_address_ipv6> <port>");
                         System.exit(1);
                 }
                 System.out.println("Host Address="+args[0]);
                 System.out.println("Port        ="+args[1]);
                 ServerSocket ss = new ServerSocket();
                 ss.bind(new
                       InetSocketAddress(InetAddress.getByName(args[0]),
                        Integer.parseInt(args[1])));
                 System.out.println("ServerSocket Bound");
                 ss.accept();
         }
}

I know this is not a Java/FreeBSD list, but I would be glad if somebody
knows a solution and would post it here.

> Are you using APR? If so, is IPv6 support compiled in?

No, I'm not using ARP, just a plain Tomcat installation.

Regards,
Hans