From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:05 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: problems with unpacking ROOT.war

> From: Rizalino DeVilleres [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: problems with unpacking ROOT.war
>
> Is there another work around to get them both working? I believe, this
> is the same setup we've had on the previous versions of Tomcat, we
> simply want to place all the war/JSPs files in the public_html and
> servlets as mentioned above.

The intent of the Servlet and JSP specs is to define the environment for
execution of web _applications_, not arbitrary JSP files.  All JSP files
must be part of some context; you can use ROOT if no other context is
appropriate.  By default, each subdirectory and war file under the
host's appBase should be a deployable webapp, using the file structure
defined by the servlet spec.  Tomcat lets you avoid building such a file
structure if you place a <Context> element in the
conf/[engine]/[host]/[appname].xml file.

If I intrepreted your requirements properly, you should try the
following:

1) Specify "/path/to/public_html" as your host's appBase.

2) Put your ROOT.xml in conf/[engine]/[host] specifying a docBase of
"servlet".

3) Place your unassociated JSP files in the /path/to/public_html/servlet
directory.

4) Put your war files or app directories (expanded wars) in the
/path/to/public_html directory (NOT /path/to/public_html/servlet).  The
name of each subdirectory or war file becomes the URI path to the app.

5) Do not put a WEB-INF subdirectory under /path/to/public_htmi/servlet,
unless you want the contents of that subdirectory deployed as both the
default app and "servlet".

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.