Hello,

Question: How common is it for a webapp to be able to run on Tomcat 5.0.28 but *not* 5.5.20?

For the installation of a commerical web application that calls for installation of Tomcat 5.0.28, I'm inclined to just go ahead and use the 5.5 series of servlet containers. Customer support is concerned that Tomcat 5.5 will not work (or at least has not been tested on the new version). My thinking is that:

1.) Both containers implement the same specifications, so their development team would *really* have to be coding obscurely, bending over backwards to try to trip up the 5.5 servlet container, to be able to manage to build a webapp that will run on 5.0.28 but not 5.5.20.

2.) Further, it would require an extremely talented development team to be able to create a webapp that will run on 5.0.28 but not 5.5.20, but paradoxically, if they had that level of talent they would *not* build an application anyway that will work on 5.0.28 but not 5.5.20.

Is my logic here correct or faulty? To what degree is "This webapp will work on 5.0.28 but not 5.5.20" an old wives' tale?

Thanks,
Glen