I am currently testing just such an upgrade.

We have a current webapp that runs in 5.0.28. The war file has a context.xml
in the META-INF that has a JNDI datasource entry.

If I place the myapp.war file into TC 5.5, it expands and places our context
file in the conf/Catalina/localhost dir. I use JNDI datasource in the
context.xml, and made sure that databse excises and is running.

This setup is just as we do with 5.0, but when I access our app, I get this
error. I have not done any research on this error yet, but since this topic
just came up, and there was mention of "customer support" which I am very
concerned about, in regards to helping our clients use Tomcat I though it
was worth mentioning. In as much as a blind upgrade, from a client's
perspective.

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: setAttribute: Non-serializable attribute

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWra
pper.java:512)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
95)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
        octane.Home.doGet(Home.java:211)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)

root cause

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setAttribute: Non-serializable attribute

org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.jav
a:1255)

org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.jav
a:1233)

org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.setAttribute(StandardSessi
onFacade.java:129)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doSetAttribute(PageContextImpl.jav
a:329)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.setAttribute(PageContextImpl.java:
308)
        org.apache.jsp.Login_jsp._jspService(Login_jsp.java:47)
        org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
34)