First I'll suggest you backup your entire server, it is possible for
instance if your server is running Linux that the webapps folder only
contain the links to the actual webapp folders residing somewhere else on
the filesystem..So again BACKUP before doing anything. About a month ago
someone on this mailing list in your position deleted stuff on a server they
were managing, I have the feeling they don't have a job anymore.