I read a few things that explained the difference (in configurations where
you must front Tomcat with Apache HTTPD) between in-process Tomcat and
out-of-process Tomcat, and have a couple of questions.

It said that in-process Tomcat will reduce latency (which I understand) but
decrease both stability and scalability - why will it decrease both of these
things?

How can you set up an in-process Tomcat? I couldn't find anything related at
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/ or by doing a web search. Do both
options make use of the mod_jk connector to HTTPD, and it's just a matter of
configuring it appropriately, or does Tomcat somehow have to be compiled
into Apache, or something else?

In general, what conflicts arise from an integrated Tomcat and HTTPD setup,
whether in-process or not? Both Tomcat and HTTPD have configuration related
to URL rewriting, authorization/authentication, logging, etc. In general
terms, what's the most reasonable way to configure your integrated setup so
that the resulting installation doesn't leave security holes, or break due
to URL rewriting, or any other results? An strategies or best practices
here?