If you have a gigantic server with something like 8 GB of memory, what would
be the best way to run Tomcat 6 on it? One instance, multiple instances, or
divide it up into two or more virtualized servers each with one instance?

Is Tomcat meant to run as one instance with that much memory, or is it
optimized for a different amount of memory?

I realize with the options I mentioned above there are implications
regarding high-availability and performance, but I'm not sure exactly what
they'd be. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this kind of stuff could
comment.

Thanks.