It appears that my problem with IIS "losing its link" with Tomcat was
actually an application problem, as several of you suggested. The JMX thread
dump (very helpful over terminal services) indicated that 100 threads were
locked up with Hibernate trying to get a database connection from DBCP. Upon
further research I learned that Hibernate (and probably everything else)
works better with the c3p0 pooling API, so I switched all my applications
over to c3p0 and all is well (for now).

Thanks for all the help,

Travis Haagen