30,000 requests in 10 seconds probably isn't normal traffic, but it could
represent a sudden spike.

think of it another way, that's 3,000 requests per second. If we calculate
that for a 10 hour period, it puts things in perspective

1000 req/sec * 60 sec/min = 60,000 req/min
60,000 req/min * 60 min/hr = 3,600,000 req/hr
3,600,000 req/hr * 10 hr = 36,000,000 req

that means during normal work hours, the server would get 36 million
requests. to handle that kind of traffic, first you have to have the
bandwidth. There's an old performance article I wrote that's listed on
tomcat's article section. read that and see if it helps

peter