Charl Gerber wrote:
Hi,

I'm setting up a Centos 5 server with Apache, MySQL
and Tomcat 6 (jre 1.6). I think we have joomla on it
as well. The machine will be used purely as a
webserver running a tomcat app and maybe some static
html from the apache server. Quite a bit of
interaction with the MySQL server will be done. We
have 2GB of memory in the machine. How much should I
allocate to Tomcat and where/how do I do it? I suspect
in the catalina.sh file? I am pretty new to managing a
linux machine, so I am not familiar with the
configurations.
We'd like to optimize Tomcat's performance, but
obviously need to find a balance where MySQL and
Apache will have enough memory too. We don't have many
hard stats about connections expected etc, so we want
to start with a default configuration and memory
allocation that will ensure all apps involved will
have a decent chunk of the memory to work with, but
not too little or too much.

Thanks!

Charl
Hi Carl,
First thing,
Are you using a JDK and/or Tomcat distribution from the Centos repository?
If not please download and install the JDK from java.sun.com and
download and install Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org.

Using the default configuration, is a good starting point to determine the optimized settings as you do not presently have any metrics.
Depending, then you could increase the memory allocation.

--
Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement
http://www.ngasi.com
NEW! 8.0 - Centrally manage multiple physical servers