---- Original Message ----- From: "Vishwa Chary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:50 PM
Subject: tomcat 6 build from source-code

Hi Tomcat Gurus,
  Appreciated if you can help me with the following :

I'm trying to build tomcat server from the source code.  After downloading
the source code, "ant " command was successful in executing the deploy
task. It created a folder "build" under "output" folder . The "build" folder
contains bin,conf,lib,temp,webapps directories.
i)I was under the impression  that executing ant would build a jar-file or
file-structure similar to bin-download on tomcats website
ii)Even with the current structure,  I cannot see any startup/shutdown
scripts under this build folder.

Please let me know if I'm missing any step!

I think its
   ant download
   ant

but I dont have the same version...
when you unpack the source, actually I think you must SVN it, but anyway, when its there, there is a BUILD.TXT file somewhere, and in there it will have the details.

If I remember correctly I had to go onto the ant script and set the directory for the
ant download.

Its quite an amazine thing to watch... it goes off to eclipse sites and half the universe and gets all the dependent stuff... like JSP compilers and stuff... when all that stuff is there it will build.

Also if you on NB... there is a NB article somewhere where some guy shows you how to get all that going in Netbeans as well.

Enjoy