On 07/07/2008, at 4:11 PM, Piller Sébastien wrote:

Yes, we're running Linux. I'm not sure what's my distrib. I'm using our dedicated hosting, administrated via ssh. When I need to start tomcat, I just use the startup.sh script (the one in /bin/). Same to shutdown: use shutdown.sh.

It's possible to restart TC with a .sh, isn't it?

Dear Sébastien,

You can use cron to stop and restart tomcat every day - A little bit of shell scripting may be required.

The apache distribution of tomcat can be stopped and started by using

cd $TOMCAT_HOME
./bin/shutdown.sh

./bin/startup.sh

(some developers ASSUME that $TOMCAT_HOME is the working directory)

As you are already having memory difficulties though, you may find that shutdown.sh does not work correctly - and that you may need to use "kill -9".

Either way however, should you be using this tomcat for a 'commercial purpose' running on a '*nix' machine, I can only strongly recommend that you find someone who can administer this machine.

Best of luck.

Andrew