I just tried again. Well, the problems turns out to be more subtle. Changing
Parameter values in appName.xml works: redeployment occurs, Parameter
(InitParameter) values are updated as expected.

However, changing values in context.xml.default still does not work, which
was what was stumping me. Also changes in conf/context.xml do not get
updated in a running Tomcat--as far as I can tell.

Is this by design?

Hanan