Markus Reis wrote:
[...]
Further I found out that this happens only with an initial POST request - if I do the same via GET only one Set-Cookie header is returned (I wrote before that I was not able to reproduce those 900 Set-Cookie headers on my PC, but that was due to the fact that I sent the request as a GET - If I send the same data via a POST request I also get ~900 Set-Cookie headers, with the only difference that all of them always contain the exactly same JSESSIONID).

I only get those 900 Set-Cookie headers after/at the initial request;
Subsequent requests only have one cookie in http request and response header
and look pretty normal.

Well, that is a lot of progress. You have already eliminated all the client stations, the client network and the client proxy server. That's at least 50% of the elephant.

Is there still something between your PC and the Tomcat server, or is your PC talking directly to the Tomcat server (no front-end server, no proxy, nothing like that ) ?

And, how do you do this exactly, to switch between a GET request and a POST request ?

And, can you try this in Firefox e.g., with the LiveHttpHeaders add-on, to see exactly at the PC level which headers are being sent, and which are being received, in each case ?