> Markus Reis wrote:
> [...]
> Further I found out that this happens only with an initial POST request
> - if I do the same via GET only one Set-Cookie header is returned (I
> wrote before that I was not able to reproduce those 900 Set-Cookie
> headers on my PC, but that was due to the fact that I sent the request
> as a GET - If I send the same data via a POST request I also get ~900
> Set-Cookie headers, with the only difference that all of them always
> contain the exactly same JSESSIONID).
> >
> > I only get those 900 Set-Cookie headers after/at the initial request;
> Subsequent requests only have one cookie in http request and response header
> and look pretty normal.
>
> Well, that is a lot of progress. You have already eliminated all the
> client stations, the client network and the client proxy server.  That's
> at least 50% of the elephant.
>
> Is there still something between your PC and the Tomcat server, or is
> your PC talking directly to the Tomcat server (no front-end server, no
> proxy, nothing like that ) ?

I have now installed an equivalent Tomcat (actually it is a JBoss that uses
Tomcat 5.5 as it's ServletEngine) instance on my own PC - so there's nothing
between the client (a web browser on my PC) and the server (a Tomcat instance
running on my PC). The observed results are the same.

> And, how do you do this exactly, to switch between a GET request and a
> POST request ?

In the case of a GET request I add the parameters I want to send in the query
string
(http://localhost:48080/webAntWeb/NewSession?BEA_KURZ=sj&BEARBEITER=Josef+Schweiger&BERATERNR=&BANK=47150&FILIALE=VB+N%D6-Mitte&VORVERTRAG=&VER_BEGINN=&VER_ABLAUF=&KUNDENNR=77777&AKAD=&VORNAME=Hilde&ZUNAME=Musterfrau&GESCHL=W&GEBDAT=05.05.1965&SVNR=4085050565&STRASSE=Stra%DFe+21&PLZ=1090&ORT=Wien&TELNR=01+%2F+31380+%2F+999&EMAIL=&AUSART=02&AUSNR=666666&AUSBEHOERDE=Pol.Dion.+Wien&KTONR=999999999&BLZ=43000&NAME_VV=&NAME2_VV=&STRASSE_VV=&PLZ_VV=&ORT_VV=&SEL_VTR=&testfall=1&aktion=)
In the case of a POST request I use a html form with the above input fields and
submit the form.

There are however three new observation results:
(1) This also happens with GET requests (Previously I tested GET requests only
with an empty query string - sorry for that)
(2) The number of cookie headers is equal to the number of parameters sent
(either via POST or GET) + 1 (i.e. 5 parameters sent results in 6 cookie
headers)
(3) The number of Set-Cookie headers is "number of cookie headers" multiplied
with "number of cookie headers" (i.e. if "number of cookie headers" is 6 the
"number of Set-Cookie headers" is 36)

> And, can you try this in Firefox e.g., with the LiveHttpHeaders add-on,
> to see exactly at the PC level which headers are being sent, and which
> are being received, in each case ?

LiveHttpHeaders shows me x Set-Cookie headers in the response where x is equal
to "number of cookie headers" in the output of RequestDumperValve (and which is
basically the number of distinct JSESSIONID cookies). LiveHttpHeaders displays
the same response header for POST and GET requests.