> From: André Warnier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Manager app language
>
> It means that despite its inherent capability of
> speaking in tongues, it only does so according to
> the overall Tomcat LANG setting, and does not pay
> attention to the browser's "Accept-Language" headers.

That's due to its use of the standard Java internationalization mechanism.
Supporting multiple languages simultaneously is a good bit more complicated.
Also, since the manager app is an administrative function, one would expect
that responsibility to be handled in-country (although that's probably a lot
less true now than just a few years ago).

> set the LANG to "en_GB.iso885915"
> It certainly did not change over the last week, overlapping thus the
> fateful day when the Manager spoke German to us.

As I mentioned previously, the user.language setting can be changed on the fly.
 If a webapp altered it before the first reference to the manager app, that
would affect the response of the manager.

One question remains unanswered: was Tomcat restarted between the English ->
Deutsch transition, and then again between the Deutsch -> English one?  If your
server's locale file was somehow unavailable and the en_GB.iso885915 setting
became undecipherable at the time the JVM initialized, the platform may well
have resorted to some default - which could be German in this case.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# locale -a

Is the server named after a legendary British king, the Kinks album, or the
HHGTTG character?

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.