André Warnier schrieb am 26.11.2008 um 23:48:50 (+0100):
> Only yesterday did he ever speak German, and by today he seems to have
> forgotten all of it, despite all our attempts to feed him appetising
> bits of LANG=de_DE.iso885915, Accept-language=de; and other Gummy
> Bäre.

I'm not sure Tomcat would bother what character encoding you specify in
LANG. I'd say this gets configured at the web application level.

What does `locale -a' on your Debian machine say? Maybe your LANG
setting is not installed. Try a LANG that is listed among the installed
locales. (GNU Gettext requires the requested locale be installed in the
OS, else ignoring the locale you're trying to set.)

Or simply:

    LANG=de_DE ./startup.sh         # or maybe even
    LANG=de ./startup.sh

Michael Ludwig