epicwin...@hotmail.com wrote:
Is there any advantage why I should not just jar all my class files and put
them in WEB-INF/lib rather than exploding the jar file to the classes directory?

I like developing with the classes and I understand it is nice to let tomcat
deploy a .war file but it also creates some problems for me because i deploy to
multiple production servers with different settings that get overwritten every
time my war file is expanded.
Use ant/maven and build preconfigured war files. It's much, much easier to distribute/deploy single war file instead of expanded directory (not to mention single .class files for updates).

You can keep site-specific configuration files outside of webapplication, so they will not get overwritten with deploys.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <m...@ceti.pl>