Bill Barker wrote:
ignoring the maven fanatics, Tomcat's classloader searches the WEB-INF/classes directory before the WEB-INF/lib/*.jar. This means that it is sometimes nice to use WEB-INF/classes for a development server. But for a production server you won't see much difference.

Sorry to butt in, but with I believe a question related to what the OP was asking, and to the above : Also ignoring the Maven and Ant fanatics (just quoting Bill's words), if I have a webapp consistig of just a couple of classes and a WEB-INF/web.xml config file, but this web.xml file contains some parameters that are "each-client-dependent", and some customers are insisting to receive the updates as a war file, how can I achieve that ?

Someone earlier here mentioned that you could put the settings in a file outside the application, but that is not possible in this case, or is it ?